Bethany Nowviskie / Profile
Director, Digital Research & Scholarship, UVA Library | Administrator , Faculty
Home Page: http://faculty.virginia.edu/nowviskie/
I help shape UVA’s support for digital scholarship by running a Library department that includes the Scholars’ Lab and a crack R&D team devoted to scholarly interfaces. The SLab combines the services and resources of UVA Library’s former GeoStat and Etext Centers with end-user assistance from ITC’s Research Computing Support group. I am Vice President of the ACH and Associate Director of the Scholarly Communication Institute. I also serve on the executive board of NINES, for which I designed the Collex tool. I am additionally an editorial board member of MediaCommons and a member of the MLA’s Committee on Information Technology.
My doctorate is in English, and I have worked in the digital humanities as a designer, manager, and editor since 1995. My own research lies in the intersection of traditional interpretive methods with innovative social and algorithmic tools.
My research interests lie in the relation of contraints-based, combinatoric, and algorithmic methodologies to traditional humanities interpretation. Recently, I am increasingly engaged with geospatial tools and approaches to historical and literary study. To that end, I’m PI on two NEH-funded geospatial projects: Neatline and the Institute for Enabling Geospatial Scholarship. I am also desultorily producing a digital edition of A. C. Swinburne’s 1866 Poems and Ballads.
- Scholarly Disciplines
- Bibliography (2), Digital Humanities (5), Geospatial Scholarship (1), Literature (5)
- General Interests
- Ars Combinatoria (1), Interface Design (3), Letterpress Printing (1), Nineteenth-century literature and culture (3), Scottish Gaelic language and literature (1)
- Time Periods of Interest
- Victorian (2)
- Places of Interest
- Great Britain (4)
- Technologies of Interest
- GIS (8), physical computing (1), text-based digital humanities (1), wearables (1)
See my CV at http://nowviskie.org/
- Director, Digital Research & Scholarship, UVA Library
- Executive Council, Association for Computers and the Humanities (ACH)
- Executive Council, Networked Infrastructure for Nineteenth-Century Electronic Scholarship (NINES)
- Associate Director, Scholarly Communication Institute
- PhD in English Language & Literature, University of Virginia 2004
- MA Ed in English Education, Wake Forest University 1996
- BA in Archaeology & in English, University of Virginia 1995
- Modern Language Association
- Association for Computers and the Humanities
|Email:||bethany at virginia dot edu|
If you can’t find my office (Alderman 411b), please just ask at the main desk of the Scholars’ Lab.