Bill Ferster / Profile
EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGIST | Faculty
Home Page: http://www.viseyes.org
I have a joint faculty appointment to College of Arts and Sciences and the Curry School of Education.
At CAS, I direct the VisualEyes project at SHANTI to make it easier for scholars to create highly interactive visualizations of their work using a web-based tool we’ve developed called VisualEyes (http://www.viseyes.org). I teach an undergaduate class for4th year history majors in historic visualization with historian Scot French.
At Curry I work with Glen Bull at the Center for Technology and Teacher Education developing tools for K-12 education, primarily for social studies and direct the PrimaryAccess Project, which enables middle school students to create mini “Ken Burns-like” digital documentaries in their own voice using primary source images (http://www.primaryaccess.org).
Development of digital visualization tools for scholars Development of tools for K-12 education
Historical visualization K-12 education and technology Design (Graphic / Industrial / User) Automated Essay Scoring (NLP/AI) Computer animation Behavioral economics Informatics
- Scholarly Disciplines
- Education (1), History (5)
- General Interests
- Design (3), GIS (6), History (9), Human Factors (1), Industrial Design (2), Interface Design (3), K-12 education (1), Teaching Tools (4), Technology (4), User-centered Design (1)
- Places of Interest
- Charlottesville (1), Vinegar Hill (1), Washington DC (1)
- Technologies of Interest
- 3D (3), AI (1), Actionscript (1), C++ (2), Flash (4), GIS (8), NLP (1), PHP (5)
www.primaryaccess,org www.jeffersonstravels.org www.stagetools.com
HistoryBrowser PrimaryAccess Movie PrimaryAccess StoryBoard PrimaryAccess Teacher MediaMixer MovingPicture MovingParts MovingChart OnStage! EMC2 video editor ArtWork ChartWork VideoWork The CameraMan
- Director of Technology - VCDH
- Senior Scientist - Curry School
- Founder - StageTools LLC
- Founder - Editing Machines Corporation
- Founder - West End Film Inc.
- PhD, University of Virginia
- BFA, George Washington University
34313 Welbourne Road
|Email:||bferster [at] virginia.edu|